When suspicion that tap water contains bacteria, viruses or parasites that could make you ill, municipality Frogn recommends that the water should be boiled before being drunk or used to prepare food.
The affected householders will be notified with a boiling recommandation message, by SMS or voice phone.
This is what to do when we recommend that drinking water should be boiled:
Boil all water that is to be drunk or used to prepare food.
Boil the water in a saucepan or kettle until it is bubbling strongly and at least 3 minuts. Bacteria, viruses and parasites die when the water is boiled.
Pour the boiled drinking water into a thoroughly cleaned jug, bottle or other container and let it cool off.
Remember that boiled drinking water must be used to
- mix drinks with water
- make coffee, because a coffee maker does not heat the water to boiling point
- make ice
- rinse fruit, salad and vegetables that will not be cooked
- brush your teeth.
Unboiled drinking water can be used to
- prepare food such as potatoes, rice and pasta that will be boiled in water
- wash your hands and face
- shower, but make sure small children do not swallow the water. Avoid taking a bath
- wash up in the dishwasher at the highest temperature; use the drying programme
- wash up by hand; let the washing up dry off before being used
- wash clothes
- wash and clean surfaces
- water flowers
- flush the toilet.
NOTE: When there is a recommendation to boil drinking water, children must not play in water sprinklers, paddling pools etc.
Access to clean drinking water – find out what applies in your municipality
You will often be able to obtain clean drinking water from special tanks provided by your municipality.
Water samples and analyze
When there has been a recommandation for boiling the drinking water, we send water samples to get analyzed. It takes approxemently one day before results are known. Affected households will be notified pr. SMS and / or voice telephone when the water again can be used as drinking water without boiling recommendation.